Sunday, September 4, 2022

Am I human? Do people with Autism count as human beings?

 Often, when I actually succeed in pointing out a wrong done to me by some one I know, the answer is something along the lines of: "I'm only human." I have had this said to me by my siblings, my mother, the same roommate that told me that when it came to doing the dishes, there had to be a different set of rules for me than for her and my sister. In case you're too lazy to scroll down to find that post, the rule was (her rule, it was never mine) that I had to do the dishes RIGHT after I was done eating. I could not wait, I could not leave them in the sink. But she and my sister could, because they weren't "special needs". Due to my diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, she thought that the label of special needs applied to me.

She would also point out, when I had actually scored a point in an argument, that she was only human and made mistakes. As if she never got foaming at the mouth enraged whenever I made mistakes. And yes, she did. I also remember pointing out flaws in her arguments, or what I thought were flaws. That would get her going too.

I have wondered if I am allowed to claim status as human. I mean, I am human-shaped. I walk and speak, and am capable of making decisions for myself, when someone hasn't already made them for me. Do I really have the right to make mistakes, as a human being? Do I have the right to learn from them the way so many others do? If the answer is yes, than why do those who used hover over me, 

I think that similar questions get asked by members of other communities that fall under the neurodivergent/disability umbrella. Do they get to claim human status too? If they do, why is ableism so excusable? Or even defended? Ableism is often defended as good intentions.

One last thing. That roommate who insisted I live under a different set of rules because I was special needs, also qualified as special needs. The year we were roommates was also the year she turned thirty. She was hearing impaired then. Yet she thought she could get by with one hearing aid, in the ear that had the weakest hearing. Imagine being told that you have to abide by a different set of rules than the other two people that live with you, because you were diagnosed with Asperger's the year before. By a woman who has hearing that is so bad that questions and statements have to be repeated more than once, or even twice, when her hearing aid was in her ear and turned on. The reason she gave for not wearing one in each ear was that it felt like living in a microphone. She felt she was capable of making her own decisions about hearing aids and how many she wore. But I couldn't about when I did the dishes I used.

Is it human of me to be angry about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment