Friday, April 1, 2011

Exception or the rule?

I used to think that I was some kind of exception, because I am still living at home with my parents, even though I will be 31 in just over 3 weeks, don't make very much money (less than $600 a month, hence me living with the parents) and am trying to bootstrap myself by taking upgrading classes after work 2 days a week.  Then I joined an email list for women with Asperger's Syndrome, and realized that many of the women on the list must try to make it on very low incomes, some have to live in low income housing, some must stay in relationships that are no longer good for them, or are living with their parents, or relatives, or with roommates, basically in some kind of situation that they don't want to be in, all because they must, because of financial and emotional reasons.  Finances are an especially huge reason, because of the misunderstandings that tend to happen at places of work and in job interviews.  In my almost 31 years of experience, and in my interactions with other Aspies, I have found that if an Aspie is too honest, or doesn't know how or when to take a hint, it could mean a job loss, or being passed over for a promotion, or not getting a job that was applied for.  Which, if the income is not replaced, could mean a house being foreclosed on, getting evicted from an apartment, having to move, etc., etc.  In other words, things that are tramautic to most people with Asperger's and Autism.
Well, I want to help with all that, even if it is just a little bit.  Saving money is one of my obsessions; despite my low income, I always make sure that I put a little bit away.  Both of these websites have really good ideas.  One is American, the other British, but they still apply.

http://www.stretcher.com/index.cfm

http://www.beyondbakedbeans.com/

A little bit of googling might be appropriate for Beyond Baked Beans, because there are so many british terms that get used.  But I guess depending on where you live, that applies to the first link too.  Wish I knew how to get all fancy and link it without actually typing out the address (by that, I mean putting the link in a word) but I am still getting the hang of this whole blogging thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment